Multiple units and individuals collaborate to lead, organize, and manage the U-M Planet Blue Initiative and its related programs and activities.
- Governance: U-M President Mark Schlissel and the executive officers set the university's direction and goals to ensure sustainability considerations are integral in institutional-level decision-making.
Many units at U-M contribute to our sustainability efforts in research, education, community engagement, and operations. Among these:
- The School for Environment and Sustainability (SEAS) is the primary academic home for faculty and students whose work focuses on these topics. As an interdisciplinary school, SEAS spans the university and brings together students and faculty from all of our schools to contribute their ideas and talents to this important work. All of our other schools and colleges also do important work related to the environment and sustainability.
- The Graham Sustainability Institute is a boundary-spanning organization that helps to connect external stakeholders to the considerable intellectual capacity of faculty, students, and staff throughout the university, with a focus on catalyzing and supporting sustainability-oriented collaborations that lead to real-world impact.
- The Erb Institute is U-M’s business-sustainability partnership between the Ross School of Business and SEAS. The Institute works with business leaders to improve the social, environmental, and economic performance of their companies; does cutting-edge research on sustainability; and helps form the next generation of business-sustainability leaders through graduate and undergraduate sustainability degree programs.
- The Office of Campus Sustainability (OCS) coordinates sustainable campus operations and collaborates with academic and auxiliary units and student groups in pursuit of U-M’s sustainability goals. OCS is responsible for tracking and reporting progress and communicating with campus and community stakeholders.
- Michigan Medicine is committed to conducting business in an efficient, environmentally-friendly and cost-effective manner. Through education and cooperation with U-M partners and national and local regulatory agencies, Michigan Medicine serves as a nationally recognized leader for implementing and continuing to improve upon its environmentally friendly practices.
- Student Life is the home for many different units that support students needs outside the classroom. From Housing, Dining, and Rec Sports to University Health Services, Wolverine Wellness and the Dean of Students, Student Life is committed to providing sustainable operations and student focused sustainability leadership development and experiential learning.