The Farm Stand is a weekly pop-up market and education project that sells produce grown by students for students. It’s held on Thursdays from 12pm-3pm from July through October on State St outside of the U-M Museum of Art. Powered by the U-M Sustainable Food Program (UMSFP) and the Campus Farm at Matthaei Botanical Gardens (CF), this project seeks to increase access to local food for students and engage the wider U-M community in food systems learning and engagement opportunities. Students will receive a 30% discount and the proceeds from the Farm Stand go towards funding student-led sustainable food initiatives here at the U-M through UMSFP’s mini-grants for food justice program. Follow @umfarmstand on Instagram for up-to-date announcements and weekly product availability.
Farm Stand Vision
We envision a food system at the University of Michigan that provides all students with consistent access to healthy, local, and affordable food and high-impact experiential learning opportunities. As students produce, process, and sell food to their peers, they grow their agency to influence the University’s food policies and build their capacity as leaders for food and environmental justice. In addition to providing a platform for open dialogue about sustainability and social justice within the food system, the Farm Stand generates revenue to fund grants for other student-led sustainable food innovations. The Farm Stand is a leading force that models for other institutions how students can engage more deeply with a university food system from field to fork.
The Farm Stand project began as a pilot during fall 2020, during which we:
- Increased availability of local, student-grown produce on central campus during COVID-19.
- Provided safe and engaging in-person programming on campus, a need identified in the fall 2020 student experience survey.
- Raised $600+ for UMSFP's mini-grant program, which offers student organizations up to $1,000 to use for a food justice project or event.
- Increased student volunteer engagement with UMSFP, CF, and sustainability student organizations.
- Designed experiential learning outcomes for customers and student organizers.
- Collaborated with Maize and Blue Cupboard, Michigan Dining, Planet Blue Student Leaders, Get Out the Vote, sustainability academic courses and more.
Stay up-to-date on the latest Farm Stand news by subscribing to the UMSFP weekly newsletter.