Fresh from the Market Recipes
As prepared by Michigan Dining Chef Buzz Cummings at the Sept. 15, 2016 M Farmers Market.
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup Canola Oil Blend (or olive oil)
2 T Lime Juice
2 T Sugar
1.5 T Salt
1 Clove Garlic Chopped
1.5 T Cilantro Leaves
1.5 T Minced Jalapeno (seeds removed)
1. Combine lime juice, sugar salt, chopped garlic, cilantro leaves and minced jalapeno pepper without seeds in food processor and blend.
2. Slowly add canola oil blend or straight light olive oil until well blended and emulsified thin, with a few drops of water if needed.
3. Refrigerate until ready for use.
Grilled Squash Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette:
1 Yellow squash
8oz - Cannelini beans
1 cup - quinoa, cooked
1 cup - grape tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper
1. Quarter squash and zucchini lengthwise and season lightly with oil and salt and pepper. Place on grill to get marks, be careful not to overcook. Cool down and chop into 1/2" dice.
2. Take cooked quinoa and lightly coat in oil and salt and pepper. place on sheet tray in 350F oven and toast until crunch and gives off a nutty aroma.
3. Fold together squashes, beans, tomatoes, confit onions, and lemon vinaigrette in a bowl and garnish with toasted quinoa and parmesan.
2ea - lemons, juice and zest
2T - Dijon mustard
1/4 cup - parsley and chives, chopped
1/2 cup - blend oil
Salt and pepper
Combine juice, zest, dijon and herbs in bowl and whisk while gradually adding oil. Whisk until emulsified. Season to taste and fold into salad.
Confit Red Onion
1 ea - red onion Julienne
1/4 cup - brown sugar
1/4 cup - red wine vinegar
In small sauce pot add all ingredients and simmer on low until most of the moisture has dissipated. Cool down and fold into salad.
Michigan End of Summer Salad:
1 Small Yellow Squash
1 Small Zucchini
1 Ear Corn on the Cob
1 Red, Yellow or Green Pepper, diced
4 Oz. Canned Black Beans (rinsed)
1 Medium Fresh Tomato, diced
1 Green Onion, sliced
1. Clean yellow squash & zucchini, remove ends. Spiralize both into bowl and store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Alternative: chop squash and zucchini into ½ inch pieces.
2. Cook corn, cool, remove kernels from husk (or use frozen) place in large bowl.
3. Add peppers, black beans, tomatoes and green onion to corn.
4. Add dressing to corn and bean mix. Toss well.
5. Arrange spiral zucchini & yellow squash on plates and place dressed vegetable on top. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro & crumbled corn chips.
1 T Canola Blend or Olive Oil
3 TLemon Juice
2 T Minced Garlic .
2 T Tahini Paste
2 T Chopped Parsley
1.5 T Minced Jalapeno
1. Cut eggplant in half and run the cut side lightly with olive oil.
2. Place in 400 F oven and roast until rich golden brown color is achieved and eggplants are tender.
3. Place on sheet pan, cut side up, and cover with cling film so that eggplants "steam". Let rest for 30 minutes.
4. Scoop out pulp and place all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.