PLANET BLUE STUDENT LEADER 2017-2018 JOB SUMMARY
A Planet Blue Student Leader (PBSL) is a paid part-time student position. This unique and innovative position allows students who are passionate about sustainability to work with staff to implement sustainability projects, collaborate with student organizations and University departments, and engage their peers (on and off campus) in sustainability related programming.. In return, you will gain hands-on experience with sustainability at an institutional level and be trained in leadership and communication skills on how to effectively engage others in sustainability.
Please submit the following materials in one document via email to Keith Soster at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- An applicant statement describing what you will bring to the Planet Blue Student Leader team in terms of personal qualities, interests, and experience. (No more than 300 words.)
- In addition, please mention ways (if any) you have been involved in campus sustainability to-date. (No more than 200 words.)
- Attend a 1-day paid orientation and weekly meetings
- Gain an insight into current University of Michigan sustainability initiatives
- Outline the resources available to you in regards to programming and student engagement
- Network and build community with other Planet Blue Student Leaders
- Complete an individual or small team project in addition to a PBSL team project
- Contribute to the campus community by researching, presenting, and attempting to implement a sustainability practice
- Conflate your personal sustainability interests and skills with the position in order to affect positive change
- Work collaboratively with other University departments and staff to broaden the reach of sustainability on campus
- Engage UM students with sustainability related programming
- Serve as a resource for residents of the hall through things like tabling events
- Conduct presentations on an as needed basis
- Educate staff and students about opportunities to be sustainable in residence halls, their homes, and in daily life
- Develop positive working relationships with facilities, residential education, and dining hall staff
- Full-time enrollment at the University of Michigan for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Excellent communication skills
- Availability for weekly staff meetings, as well as commitment to working 3-5 hours per week
- Preference is for applicants who will live in University Housing during the 2017-2018 academic year, but exceptional off-campus students are welcome to apply
- Experience working with and educating students
- Basic understanding of the current initiatives and campus goals related to sustainability
- Passion for sustainability and the environment
Early applicants will be given priority consideration:
- Returning students: Apply by May 15, 2018 for priority consideration.
- Incoming freshmen: Apply by July 15, 2018 for priority consideration.
- For more information on the program, see sustainability.umich.edu/pbsl
To apply, please submit your resume and an applicant statement describing what you will bring to the Planet Blue Student Leader team in terms of personal qualities, interests, and experience. In addition, please mention ways (if any) you have been involved in campus sustainability to-date via email to Keith Soster at email@example.com.