PBSL Photo Gallery
Planet Blue Student Leaders (PBSLs) are part-time employees of Student Life who act as peer educators to promote sustainable living behaviors and work in small teams to implement year-long projects that support campus sustainability goals. Throughout the year, PBSLs participate in weekly programs to develop leadership skills and build the capacity of diverse, interdisciplinary project teams.
- Participate in hands-on learning about campus sustainability initiatives, organizational change, behavior change, sustainable leadership, and professional communication.
- Develop and implement a year-long initiative to promote a culture of sustainability on campus, working as a team.
- Organize cross-campus events, such as the WasteLESS Dinner, to engage the community in conversations around food access and food waste.
- Serve as the first introduction to sustainability at the University of Michigan for new students at the annual zero-waste Convocation Picnic.
- Visit locations such as the Net Zero Home in Ann Arbor, Eastern Market in Detroit, Espresso Royale Roasters, and nearby universities to learn about sustainability in different environments.
- Conduct in-person training to certify Student Life staff and peers in composting best practices.
- Attend a team building program in the fall to explore leadership and communication among the new PBSL team.