OCS programs engage students, faculty, and staff in operational efforts to meet the university’s sustainability goals. OCS and our partners try to unify diverse sustainability efforts into cohesive actions that will help educate and motivate our campus community.
- Zero Waste Program promotes composting.
- Waste Reduction and Recycling enables campus users to reduce landfill waste.
- Energy Management technology and education to conserve energy.
- Sustainable Lab Recognition Program recognizes the efforts by research and teaching labs to include Pollution Prevention (P2), Green Chemistry, and Lab Safety practices in their day-to-day operations.
- Sustainable Workplace Certification Program recognizes faculty and staff for incorporating sustainable practices in the office environment.
- ChEM chemical reuse program enables laboratories to share chemicals and equipment they no longer need and obtain items they can put to use, for free!
- Annual Environmental Reporting keeps everyone informed, helps U-M celebrate our successes, and identifies areas for continued effort.
- EarthFest: Party for the Planet is an outreach initiative designed to educate and motivate the campus community on sustainability efforts and challenges facing U-M.
- RecycleMania is a nationwide recycling competition among colleges and universities.
- E-Waste Recycling is an event that allows the surrounding community an opportunity to properly recycle electronic waste.
- Sustainability Town Halls
- Environmental Certifications (STARS)
- Sustainability Map provides the location of sustainability initiatives across the U-M campus.
- Planet Blue Water Bottle Program provides reusable water bottles to incoming freshmen, staff, and faculty.
- Sustainability & the Campus is a course within LSA's Program in the Environment. This interactive course allows students to work directly with Operations staff, exploring actual sustainability challenges faced in running a university. Student teams perform hands-on group projects in conjunction with university operations sponsors.