We will pursue stakeholder engagement, education, and evaluation strategies toward a campus-wide ethic of sustainability.
Campus has more than 2400 Planet Blue Ambassadors who have undergone training directly linked to U-M’s sustainability goals in energy, food, waste, water and community. This past year, they completed nearly 22,000 individual sustainable actions, such as using reusable water bottles or turning off their computers at night. Our water bottle initiative has provided a free Planet Blue water bottle to more than 24,000 undergraduate students. The university has over 300 water filling stations on campus for students, faculty and staff to fill up their bottles. More than 2,800 staff members are engaging in green operations through the Sustainable Workplace program.
Finally, several thousand students, faculty, and staff have completed the annual Sustainability Cultural Indicators Program survey. Survey results are being widely used to inform campus sustainability behavior and awareness initiatives.
Projects and Initiatives
- Report from President Schlissel's Culture Committee (2015)
- Planet Blue Water Bottle Program
- Bottle Filling Stations Guidelines
- EarthFest! Party for the Planet
- Annual Sustainability Town Hall
- Planet Blue Ambassador (PBA) Program
- Sustainable Workplace Certification Program
- Sustainable Labs Recognition Program
- Sustainability Map