The OCS mission has four key components:
- Work with U-M leadership to set goals and standards for sustainable operations on our campus. Work with the units across campus to ensure those goals and standards are met. Track and report progress on university wide goals to leadership.
- Identify, support, and coordinate opportunities to reduce energy consumption and increase sustainable operations on campus that may go beyond what is required to meet campus goals.
- Work collaboratively with the Graham Sustainability Institute on cross functional sustainability efforts that span academic, research and operational funtions of the university.
- Provide information exchange and be responsible for communicating to internal and external constituents about efforts underway and challenges associated with sustainability work on campus.
Our vision statements identify how we intend to meet that mission.
- OCS will provide services that promote environmental sustainability through partnerships, guidance and other activities to support academic, operational, economic and regulatory needs of the University.
- OCS will lead the University in development, dissemination and application of operational sustainability programs.
- Environmental sustainability programs will be integrated into University activities and functions.
- OCS activities will incorporate the values of quality, responsibility, accountability, trust, diversity, flexibility and respect.