At the University of Michigan, sustainability is one of our top priorities. Sustainable computing is no exception.
- Raising awareness about the impact of computing on the environment
- Providing tools to help U-M faculty, staff, students, and IT professionals be better environmental stewards of our computing resources
- Ultimately changing the culture of the University to always consider the environment when making decisions about computing.
Did you know?
- The average computer wastes nearly HALF the power it consumes.
- Servers lose approximately one-third of their power as heat.
- On the U-M campus, energy usage is not measured to the level of the individual PC or server, so the enormous impact of our computing habits is often hidden.
The Planet Blue Sustainable Computing team has developed best practices for sustainable computing and strives to provide tools to help reach that end. We provide an informative website with the following:
Facts, tools and best practices to help you learn about what to do to make your computing sustainable and why it’s important.
Concrete things YOU can do to improve your computing environmental footprint
Additional resources about sustainable computing
A special section for IT Professionals
We are always working on improving our web presence, so visit often to see additional tools, resources, and information to help with your sustainable computing efforts.